Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Favorite Emil Cioran's Quotes

Here are the two of my favorite Emil Cioran's quotes:

There is no means of proving it is preferable to be than not to be.

A sudden silence in the middle of a conversation suddenly brings us back to essentials: it reveals how dearly we must pay for the invention of speech.

I remember slightly different translation of the first one, that I had a chance to read somewhere, it goes something like this:

To be or not to be? Neither. 

532881_Direct Factory Prices!

7 comments:

FrankRsaid...

One can spend hours contemplating what is and what isn't, perception verses reality, being verses whatever the alternative is.

But then there would be no time to wash the dishes - and they are truly there:)

Sogeshirtsguysaid...

Interesting quotes I like the to be or not to be- neither paraphrase.

Jim Murdochsaid...

I'd lock him and Shakespeare in a room and let 'em fight it out.

J. C.said...

@Frank, thanks for the really insightful comment. I think that only Philip Dick could beat your statement - he was talking and was oppressed by parallel realities, so who knows - maybe even dishes aren't there.
@Soge, hi man, yes I like that one also, it's an interesting paraphrase.
@Jim, lol, that would be an interesting fight for sure.

FrankRsaid...

@Jim Murdoch - LOL. Shakespeare would win hands down - Emil would sit in a corner contemplating the possibility that Shakespeare was REALLY Marlowe, who in turn MAY HAVE REALLY BEEN Ben Jonson:)

Michelle Gartnersaid...

"There is no means of proving it is preferable to be than not to be."

Yes well that is a lovely quote but my favorite of all times is Bill Clinton's "that depends on what your definition of is- is..."

Hee He! What a bone head- and it is so metaphysical too. What is reality- it depends! HA ha!

J. C.said...

Hi Michelle, I am glad you've found it funny and interesting. Cheers.

Post a Comment

Let's hear from you